Friday, September 7, 2012

Wyoming - Sept 7th

On our way from Salt Lake City, Utah to Casper, Wyoming, we drove through some beautiful wide open scenery.

I said that we should be on the lookout for
Independence Rock,
as I thought it was supposed to be along the highway we were on, but I wasn't sure wherw.

I commented that the large grouping of rocky hills coming into view might be it, but I was just joking, as I expected it to be a large 20 foot rock. At the last moment, we saw the sign and pulled off.

Yep, those huge rocky hills that I saw, were actually Independence Rock.

This is where thousands of Pioneers passed by on the Oregon Trail, and many stopped here and carved their names and dates into the huge granite outcropping.

Most carvings have faded away with time, but a few are still visible.

To walk the path all the way around the 'rock' would have taken an hour or more, so we passed on that walk in the heat.
We walked down the path, seeing birds, ants, a rattlesnake skin, and two rabbits up on the rock.

Later, we stopped at a rest stop, and I finally got some photos of the beautiful sunflowers I had been admiring for hundreds of miles.

Independence Rock was a lot bigger than a rock
Can you see him?
Independence Rock
Rattlesnake skin
These sunflowers grew wild from Utah to South Dakota


Big sky, small lake
United We Stand
Amazingly puffy clouds
Hannah reading to Robby
Legos rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment