Saturday, September 1, 2012

Wow, What a Lot of Stuff to Do!

Preparing for a trip like this has taken much of my time and focus the last few months.

We bought a new (to us) Honda Pilot and gave our trusty old Ford Explorer away. We got a cargo box for the top of the Pilot, so it wouldn't be so completely stuffed inside.

We shopped thrift stores until we found six small duffel bags for our clothes.

We arranged a house & cat sitter.

Bob arranged for a two month leave from work.

I researched lodging, and found that KOA campgrounds now have what they call Kabins for around $50 per night. They are just nice wooden sheds with bunks and electricity, but it beats setting up and tearing down a traditional campsite every day or two. Plus, I can bring an electric skillet and hot plate for cooking and coffee!

I found that in some locations, an inexpensive motel was a cheaper alternative to the Kabins.

We got colonial costumes together to wear at Colonial Williamsburg. I ordered two colonial shirts for the guys from Etsy, to save me the time of sewing them myself. Made the guys colonial breeches from pants. Found a dress for Hannah at a second-hand store, and put something together for me from Goodwill finds. I still need to sew the guys their waistcoats.

I calculated costs, which includes gas, groceries, lodging, attractions, and occasional eating out.

Bob found that the cooler a friend has been storing in our garage was one that you could plug in, and it works fantastically! Makes it easy to eat inexpensively when you have a portable fridge with you.

I mapped all the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's along our route, so we can access their gluten free foods for Hannah.

We got washtubs so we can wash dishes and clothes.

I got new walking sandals for me, finally, after looking for a month.

I arranged and re-arranged our route to accommodate as many family visits as we could manage.

We started this blog :)

I know there is more, but I won't bore you with the details.

Oh, wait, I already did.

Never-mind.

1 comment:

  1. PS - In addition to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's... we have Sunflower and Sprouts - that are great Natural Food stores and also Vitamin Cottages are plentiful in the Mountain States too.

    ReplyDelete