Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Observations #1 - Driving

We've been gone for almost 6 weeks now and we've seen a lot of cool stuff.

We've driven from California, up through Nevada, Utah and Wyoming to South Dakota. Then down across Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, the bottom half of Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia, to the very bottom of Virginia. We then, over the course of 10 days, went north along the eastern coast, through Washington DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island to Massachusetts. From there we went west across New York to the Canadian border and then down around Lake Erie, through Pennsylvania (again) to the top of Ohio. From there we went south through Kentucky (again) and Tennessee before heading further west to Arkansas. From there we went northwest through Kansas and into Colorado; where we are at the writing of this post.

After almost 7,000 miles I can confidently say one thing...

Drivers east of Nevada are insane.

Speed limits? Ignored.
By semis, families towing trailers and cars alike. On more than one occasion, while I was doing 70MPH (5MPH over the 65MPH speed limit) in the middle lane, I was being passed on the right by a car doing about 80MPH and on the left by a semi doing 85MPH.

Stop lights or stop signs? Optional.
On one sightseeing tour bus in Boston, for which we were only on half the total circuit, the bus driver ran *at least* 10 stop lights... blatantly.

Other traffic laws? Only when needed.
The same bus driver in Boston had no problem with consuming 2 lanes as needed, even if cars were already in that lane. I saw dozens and dozens of drivers with their cell phone plastered to their ears for miles and miles, while passing posted fines for using a cell phone without a hands-free device.


Driving etiquette? Meh. Who needs it.
I saw dozens of drivers across the USA making right hand turns from the left lane; sometimes to exit the freeway at 20MPH over the posted speed limit. Or tailgate me until I pull over, pass me just to cut me off and then slow down to 5-10MPH *slower* than the posted speed limit.

Even driving in San Francisco and Los Angeles is less stressful
than driving in the mid-west or on the east coast.

I truly hope that I don't need to drive in any other states for a while after this trip. I'm not sure my nerves can take much more.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pics on your last couple posts! I'm so inspired! I hope someday to be able to take a trip like this with my kids. You've given your kids such a wonderful experience they'll never forget. And Love your driving observations! ;)

    ReplyDelete